Friday 13 June 2014

Yummy Falafel Burgers

Yummy Falafel Burgers

I'm not really a vegetarian, but lately I've been developing an ever growing curiosity for vegetarian and vegan meals. The creativity involved into adapting and substituting ingredients and at the same time guaranteeing the recipes include all the proteins and nutrients our bodies need fascinates me. 
On a nice and warm week evening, instead of regular meat burgers, I decided to try a vegetarian version - Falafel Burgers.
These spicy patties won me over! Crisp on the outside, moist on the inside with nice chickpea chunks... YUM! If reduced in size, they are also a great option for Hors d'oeuvre.
And in case you are wondering if I've been converted, I can't say I can stop eating meat - yet.  But I'm learning there are very flavorful and creative meat substitutions out there. 

Yummy Falafel Burgers

Preparation time: 30 min
Yield: 4 Patties

Ingredients
  • 400g canned or cooked chickpeas
  • 40g bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 stalk chopped green onion 
  • 1 garlic clove finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1 tsp Tahini (sesame paste)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp all-purpose flour to dust
  • Oil for frying

Mash chickpeas with a potato masher to a creamy but chunky mixture. Add all other ingredients, except for the all-purpose flour and frying oil. 

Divide the mixture into 4 amounts, each roughly the same size. To form the patties, I recommend rolling the mixture into balls, flatting them out with your hands while adjusting the edges of the patties. Dust the patties with all-purpose flower.

On a frying pan, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Warm it up to medium high and cook each side of the patties until they become golden brown, roughly 4 minutes each side. 

You are now ready to stack your burgers anyway you like it, I served mine with arugula, tomato and a yogurt cucumber sauce in between whole grain buns. Bon Appetit!

This post was shared on:
Retro Re-Pin Party
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

4 comments:

  1. Wow, looks delicious! I'd eat that for lunch any day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I appreciate you stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. I am starving and this isn't helping! Pinning to my own board as well as the Retro Re-Pin board. Thanks! I always enjoy you coming to our party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie! I really like participating at the Retro Re-Pin Party! Thanks for having me! :)

      Delete