Tuesday 10 June 2014

Oven Fried Zucchini Rings


Oven Fried Zucchini Rings

Lately I've been seeing quite a few pins of oven "fried" zucchini on Pinterest and I have to admit I was SUPER skeptical of them. The reason for my doubts was that zucchinis have too much water and every time I tried to roast them, my oven ended up looking like a sauna.
But today I had a last lonely zucchini in my fridge and decided to figure out how to oven fry it.
And in case you are wondering, no, I have not read recipes on how to do it. I decided to go the long way and figure out myself.

Oven Fried Zucchini Rings

My solution was to remove the zucchini's seeds and double bake them, in an effort to eliminate as much water as possible. The result was quite good, the zucchini itself developed a chewy texture while the Parmesan mixture added a crunch.
They can be a great snack for a movie night or even be served as a side dish. 

Preparation time: 40 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 large zucchini
  • 1/3 cup of grated Parmesan
  • 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
  • 1/2 tsp of garlic powder

Cut bottom and top of the zucchini out. Divide the zucchini in three cylinders and with a melon baller, remove the zucchini seeds. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast them at 400 F (205 C) for 20 minutes. 

In the meantime, add Parmesan, bread crumbs and garlic powder in a bowl. You can add salt and pepper if you wish, just keep in mind that the Parmesan is already very salty.

Take the zucchini out of the oven and let it cool a bit. Then slice the zucchini into 0.5 cm rings. Add the rings in the bowl with the Parmesan mixture to coat them.

Lay the zucchini rings on the pre-used baking sheet. You will have some Parmesan mixture left over, that you can place on top of the rings. 

Bake for 10 minutes at 400 F (205 C) then turn them and bake another 10 minutes. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

No comments:

Post a Comment